Sunday, February 2, 2014

We Built a Zoo Area and Perimeter


 
Our conferences are quickly approaching and this is the first year I will be having my students conduct student led conferences...yikes!!
The kids will be creating show me boards. One of my brilliant team mates came up with the idea of having the kids create an area and perimeter zoo to put on the board.  I took her ideas and created a SUPER CUTE activity!  My kids began by coloring zoo animals and laying them on centimeter grid paper. The kids then started drawing the exhibits. 
 

Once all the exhibits were outlined, the kids cut them out.  Now came some thinking!  I showed the kids that the area of shapes can be found by breaking the figure up into small squares and rectangles. I had them add up the rectangles on the back of the animal picture and then write the area in square cm. on the back of the grid shape.  This took them some time, but they were having so much fun. 

They then counted the perimeter.  They had a label for each animal to write the measurements on. Now comes the fun part...creating the zoo!  I game them a label to color and a 12x18 piece of black construction paper.  Let me tell you, they turned out SO CUTE!! It also totally bumped up the rigor and relevance...which, as we know, is very important! The kids are going to LOVE showing their parents the zoos at conferences. 

I also created some fun area and perimeter "zoo" activities that the kids worked on in math.  Go check out the lesson and games at my TPT store.  I just know they will be the perfect addition to your area and perimeter plans.  Click on the picture to be linked to my store.
We Built a Zoo Area and Perimeter

No comments:

Post a Comment